The benefits of breastfeeding abound. There is no shortage of education on why breastfeeding your child is so important and beneficial. It's an easy decision to make- you want to breastfeed your baby- and we want to provide the support, education and inspiration to make it a lasting and fulfilling experience.
Breastfeeding is a beautiful thing:
- The birth of the placenta initiates milk production
- Your baby's natural instincts to root and suck at your breast bring the precious colostrum into her digestive system and assist in contracting and shrinking your uterus
- Your baby skin-to-skin on your chest helps regulate her temperature, and your hormones facilitate necessary bonding
- Around day 3 your milk comes in, your newborn fills her tummy and your body begins to provide the perfect and ever-changing nutrition to meet your exact baby's needs.
We know enjoying breastfeeding is at the heart of your desires as a new mom. We champion for your breastfeeding experience as fellow moms and as your midwives. Your midwives are passionate about the physiological process of breastfeeding, and protecting and supporting your breastfeeding journey is at the center of our postpartum care.
What you can expect from midwifery-led breastfeeding support:
1. We believe in preparation. Breastfeeding is discussed in pregnancy together at your appointments. We explain the basics, provide education, answer questions, examine breasts, make recommendations, loan materials and normalize both the challenges and the joys of breastfeeding a newborn. If you have had trouble nursing an older child, we work preemptively to address your specific concerns.
2. We believe YOU are your baby's expert. You are your baby's first home while she grows, and your baby belongs in your arms the second she arrives. We do minimal touching, fussing or handling of your baby- she is yours to expertly catch, to place on your own chest for her smoothest and most peaceful transition. The sequences your baby goes through in those first many minutes are vital to her initiation of breastfeeding and should not be interrupted unless absolutely necessary. You are free to slowly discover your sweet one, tuning in and building bonds that only the two of you can do.
3. We believe in a supportive postpartum. We ensure a good latch and that nursing is underway before we depart after your birth. We visit you again the very next day, 3 days after that and at 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks and 6 weeks- all in the comfort of your home. These 60 minute visits come to you to address engorgement, nipple soreness, baby's weight gain, milk supply and comfortable latching. We encourage resting in bed for at least a week, getting to know your baby, feeding on demand, skin-to-skin as often as possible and asking others to help with unrelated responsibilities around the house.
Should a complication arise at any point in your breastfeeding relationship, you midwives are still only a call away. We will asses the symptoms, make an extra visit, bring in extra supportive measures and make referrals to our trusted lactation consultants. As we continue to visit postpartum with you and your baby throughout their entire first year we are able to support the adjustments in store for new nursing phases, changes and challenges.
We are also there to celebrate your hard work, take joy in your triumphs, admire your selfless effort and cheer you on wholeheartedly. The story of your family is in these tender nursing moments, and we are here to help make your experience an extraordinary one!